How to Have Flawless Skin
I am regularly asked how I get my “flawless skin.” I appreciate the compliment and I am pleased to share my secrets, such as they are. After all, the skin is the largest organ of the body, and its health both affects and reflects our overall health.
Certainly, a healthy lifestyle is the foundation for healthy skin, and I practice what I preach:
- I eat well, including huge quantities of fresh organic produce, and lots of foods with healthy fat, including nuts and seeds, avocados, coconut oil, and olives.
- I try to get at least 8 hours of sleep a night, and almost never get less than 7.
- I drink a lot of clean filtered water, herbal tea, fresh green juice, and Kombucha
- I have a sweaty and vigorous Ashtanga yoga practice. Never underestimate the cleansing power of a drenching sweat, a good organ-massaging twist or a five minute headstand.
- No coffee, unless it’s Bulletproof. Then I have one cup, first thing in the morning, only.
- No soda
- No alcohol (well, maybe a glass of wine a few times a year)
- Virtually no sugar
- Virtually no processed food
If much of that is pretty foreign to you, you might want to start out your skin rejuvenation program with my Customized 21 Day Detox. You will notice a significant improvement in your skin, along with many other positive changes.
I also detox myself regularly using kinesiology, just as I do in sessions, as well as using the infrared sauna I have in my Zen Vitality Room, coffee enemas and sometimes a good detox shake. If you’re eating well and detoxing well, you probably won’t need special skin supplements, but these can include zinc, collagen powder, anti-oxidants, B vitamins, plus with some healthy fat, either fish oils or plant oils.
Products alone won’t give you gorgeous skin. But the right products help support and enhance the appearance of healthy skin, and keep it looking its best as we age. Here are two I just wouldn’t be without.
- Skin Protect This remarkable product was developed by one of the best herbalists I know. It is designed to not only protect against cellular damage and inflammation, but actually repair it as well. It is formulated with phytonutrients, liposomal nutritional compounds, unique fatty acids and essential oils. I recommend it to everyone, but particularly to anyone who is concerned with sun damage, lines, wrinkles, discoloration, loss of elasticity, and/or at risk for skin cancer. You can buy this through my office for $25 for 1 ounce. Apply lightly twice a day, or more frequently if you are in the sun.
- My favorite moisturizer is nothing more complicated than my pure coconut oil. You can use it morning and night. Most of it will be absorbed quickly, but just wipe off any extra after a few minutes if it’s not. Coconut oil also makes a great make up remover.
As for soap, keep it simple. I like soaps that are natural and without a lot of extra ingredients. I carry a few in my office that are rich and non-irritating, and of course have no gluten, artificial color or fragrance, benzene, laurel sulfate, phthalates, or endocrine disrupters.
So that’s it: the secrets of my glowing healthy skin. And thanks again for the compliment!