Here are the top 12 mistakes I see right now, by people trying to eat healthier.
Are you making any of them?
I look at food journals every day to help clients tweak their habitual way of eating and make nutrition work for them, while reclaiming optimal health and eradicating symptoms.
What I see is that many people are still basing their choices on bad information about what’s healthy and what’s not.
- Cereal. Sorry, but no matter what the advertising says, this is processed and refined food that gets metabolised as sugar. It will not give you the mental focus or the sustained energy you deserve for breakfast. Adding raisins, craisins, or other fruit? Sorry. More sugars….
- Skim milk. Many (not all) people do better without any dairy, but for goodness sake, if you’re going to have some, leave the fat in. Know what you’ve got when you take it out? Higher sugars. (and blech to the taste). While we’re on the topic of dairy, lose the yogurt too, okay? Same thing on the fat (it’s almost impossible to find full fat yogurt these days) and in addition it’s usually got either added sugars or artificial sweeteners. Not healthy.
- Popcorn, Chips and Pretzels. Crave the crunch? Sure you do! It’s a craving diabolically fueled by the sugar rush. It’s not about calories. It’s not that these have added sugars. It’s how your body processes the refined carbs and quickly turns them into sugar.
- Lettuce and Chicken Breast for lunch. Ahh, the old “diet mentality”. It doesn’t work. You’re hungry an hour later, right? Even more if you’re doing the “dip your fork in dressing” ritual. Or skipping dressing altogether. Add a mound of cooked veggies, half an avocado, and a generous portion of good olive oil. You won’t get that mid-day slump and boomerang back to caffeine and junk food.
- Soy. It’s suppressive to the thyroid and has estrogenic effects you may not want. Lose it.
- Drowning your meals with water. Trying to drink more? Do it in-between meals, not with. Don’t dilute precious digestive enzymes.
- Bars. Most are way high in carbs and sugars, with not much else. Yes, even if they’re organic or all natural, they still send your blood sugar sky-rocketing and leave you tired and cranky later. Want a really delicious bar that’s well balanced nutrition? Try these, in vanilla or chocolate, also available in my office.
- Low fat. OMG. Is this myth still around? We NEED fats. LOTS of them. Just make sure they’re healthy fats. Fats don’t raise your cholesterol or make you fat. Never have. (that would be refined carbs and sugars). Healthy fats keep you full, taste great, and support every organ and system in your body.
- Gluten Free Junk Food. Gluten free does NOT equal healthy.
- Shakes. These can make a great start to your day, but for goodness’ sake, read labels. Don’t use anything with fructose, soy or artificial sweeteners. Look for 5 grams of sugars or less.
- Fruit. Your metabolism doesn’t do a free pass for fruit. Yes, they’re natural but they’re still sugars.
- Theoretical vs Individually Healthy. Lots of things may be healthy in theory, or for your friend, or your sister, or someone on TV, but NOT healthy for you as the unique individual you are. Want to find out exactly what you should and shouldn’t be eating to reclaim your very best health? I can help you with that!
One thought on “Top 12 Nutritional Mistakes I See in My Practice”
Hi! Have always read what you post on FB and this particular post about The 12 Foods Not To Eat was very interesting! I am a 44 year old female who used to be in fabulous shape a short 2 years ago and have put on 20 lbs since then and I believe it is due to antidepressant medication. My question is since you are holistic I am assuming insurance will not cover your services, so around how much would a session be? Looking forward to hearing from you!
Annette S Koopman
Comments are closed.